[Bf-committers] NURBS (SoC)

Michael Robinson fractalgfx at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 17:58:45 CET 2007

> What remains to be done constitutes a reasonable GSoC project for a
> NURBS knowledgable coder:
>
> 1) Integrate libNurbana with the HEAD, there is an existing build from
> '06 but it may be quicker to use this as a reference than to try to
> merge directly given the amount of changes to the codebase since then.
>
> 2) Test/Polish existing basic functionality implemented by myself for GSoC05
> time being only NURBS computation will b
> 3) Expand features using already implemented (but untested and
> possibly buggy) Nurbana functions. This would involve new UI etc.

Having spent a lot of time using Rhino, this is the one area of
Blender where I would like to see improvement as much as the rest of
the developers.  If the necessary work is mostly code integration and
front-end functionality, then I think this is a manageable task.

Are there any areas that will require a lot of really low level work
on the geometry handling.  I've been through calculus and linear
algrebra, but I haven't made much use of them outside of the
classroom.  One of my textbooks has a small section devoted to NURBS,
but it wasn't deep enough for me to assess what an implementation
would require.  Unfortionately my school library doesn't have a copy
of the NURBS book, it will probably take a week or more for me to get
a copy.

At this point, the odds of me submitting a proposal are pretty low,
and this is probably the last topic I am going to consider.

Thanks,

Mike