[Bf-committers] Re: Need summer of code advice

Michael Robinson fractalgfx at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 15:26:56 CET 2007

> > I think that neither OpenAL or SDL are well suited to provide even
> > basic multichannel mixing (we can debate if this is an important
> > feature later.)
>
> Sorry, to interrupt you here, but neither of the two libraries had
> _intended_ to do mixing... Both are libraries for sound _output_...
> OpenAL does additionally some 3D-sound processing, but that's it.

You had to interrupt me to agree with me?

> Again: I would definitely appreciate, if we could first work out some
> direction on the wiki instead of throwing ideas into every corner.

> Again: I would definitely appreciate, if we could first work out some
> direction on the wiki instead of throwing ideas into every corner.

I always thought to purpose of a mailing list was to discuss ideas.
If it has some other purpose, then please explain it to me.

Gstreasmer and ffmpeg are completely different systems, with different
purposes, gstreamer would allow a signifigant simplification of
blenders internal video and audio handling, but I see no point in
arguing.

I'm not just throwing out random Ideas, I'm trying to take things that
interest a improve on them based on feedback.  It is clear to me that
the majority of Blender developers don't care about the sequencer.
I'm not trying to sneak in a proposal that will require 2 weeks of
work, I am trying to find a way to spend my entire summer enhancing
Blender.

It is extremely difficult for me to express my Ideas in writing, this
email has taken me more than hour to write.  You can't imagine, but my
posts to this list have required more time and effort that most people
will have to spend drafting there proposal.  I have a much harder time
with words than code, even if I wanted to take a project hand picked
by Ton, It would be a bigger challenge for me to draft a professional
looking proposal than it would be to implement.

I can tolerate my ideas being rejected, but I can't continue to invest
this much time and effort without even starting a proposal.  I really
like Blender, so I will dig through wiki and try to find something
that interests both me and the Blender developers, but I think it is
time for me to look for another project.

Thanks,

Mike