[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code Idea

Miguel Torres Lima torreslima at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 12:41:49 CET 2007

Hello everybody,

I'm currently working as an intern at DoubleMV, I&D at Oporto, Portugal. The
main goal of this internship is to provide GLSL shading in Blender's 3D
Viewport when supported by the system.

I was wondering if creating a prototype of a GLSL shaders edition system
like the Lumonix Shader FX (http://www.lumonix.net/shaderfx.html) would be
worthy of a Google Summer of Code.

Anyway, yesterday I started by trying to understand the source code in order
to decide where to insert glsl support. I inserted a new field in th G
global structure and checked for glsl support in usiblender.c right after
the interface's initialization in BIF_init().
I'd like to know if there's a better place to do that, if the global
structure should or not be altered.

Either way, right now I'll be starting to create a list of visible objects
in the 3D Viewport's current scene, and a list of the materials associated
to each object, mesh, etc...
Again, help would be very useful. Any hints on where to start?

Cheers,
Miguel Torres Lima