[Bf-committers] NURBS (SoC)

Emmanuel Stone emmanuel.stone at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 21:28:11 CET 2007

Thanks for that Chris, that was a good summary of the situation.

I would indeed very much like to pass the baton on to someone else.
Unfortunately, I have been way too busy with work to give the project
the time it needs.

At the end of GSoC05 there was a working libNurbana enabled version of
blender, which had almost all the functionality of the original
Blender NURBS. However it became apparent that there were some bugs
within the Nurbana code itself, and without any extra features, there
was little reason to push to a new untested codebase.

The Nurbana code is feature-rich, and well written. But it needs some
love, and as much as I would like to, I haven't been able to find time
to work on it. If somebody would like to take this project over, I
would be absolutely delighted, and would help in every possible way.

What remains to be done constitutes a reasonable GSoC project for a
NURBS knowledgable coder:

1) Integrate libNurbana with the HEAD, there is an existing build from
'06 but it may be quicker to use this as a reference than to try to
merge directly given the amount of changes to the codebase since then.

2) Test/Polish existing basic functionality implemented by myself for GSoC05

3) Expand features using already implemented (but untested and
possibly buggy) Nurbana functions. This would involve new UI etc.

I will be more than happy to mentor in an unofficial capacity, but a
more up-to-date dev should probably handle the Blender related issues.
If Justin is still around his help would also be very welcome.

Although this project never made it into the main CVS tree (this is
entirely my own fault for not finding the time to test/finish the 3%
remaining work) please do not underestimate how much has already been
completed on this project, it would be an absolute shame to see it
wasted .There still remains a large amount of work to do in order to
fully exploit the full power of Nurbana. I think that it would make an
excellent GSoC project for a suitable candidate, but anybody willing
to help out in any capacity is welcome to contact me.

-Emmanuel