[Bf-committers] Re: Google Summer of Code Idea

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 20:47:43 CET 2007

> > Now I'm completely confused. This is indeed already present in Blender.
> >
> > You can read an animation that is a directory full of files - but what is
> > the point in using such a clumsy representation for a cache?

Scrubbing. Let me say this again, scrubbing is blazing fast on a
driectory full of files, instead of a single dv file (or avi). Plus
imagine this, you put an effect on a file and render the first half,
then you come back latter and render the second half. What is the nle
supposed to do? Make two rendered files? With a frames server you can
render any portion of the video whenever you want, stop it, comeback
to where you were etc.

Just look at FCP sometime, it creates dozens of .mov files from the
project. Opening these and getting the data takes time. With a frame
server, you simply jump to exactly the frame you need.

When we say frame server what we really mean, is an API that wraps all
of this up into a set of "movie files", that can be accessed in a
normal manner.

Timothy

--
re·cur·sive      /rɪˈkɜrsɪv/: Adj. See Recursive.