[Bf-committers] Re: Google Summer of Code Idea

Peter Schlaile peter at schlaile.de
Mon Mar 12 20:05:06 CET 2007

Hi,

> I'm going to float an idea that sounds really cool, but is actually
> pretty lame, hardware accelerated effects (sort of.)  It is possible
> to render simple 3D effects in near real-time, using OpengGL.  Page
> curls, 3D wipes, spinning cubes, and other cheesy effects should be
> outlawed, but there are users who would find this appealing.
>
> I wouldn't rush to implement this, but I couldn't get this off my mind.

plugins, not core.

If you want to implement an OpenGL acceleration system
for the compositor and sequencer, you might want to talk to Brecht. I
think, he is working on this / has already finished something.

> I think you took the term frameserer a little too literary.  In this
> this case, I don't think anyone was talking about a literal frame
> "sever" (at least I wasn't).  The important idea is that the sequences
> are stored as individual frames, it doesn't really matter how they get
> into blender

Now I'm completely confused. This is indeed already present in Blender.

You can read an animation that is a directory full of files - but what is
the point in using such a clumsy representation for a cache?

<irony>
Hmmm. Right: you are a reiserfs promoter, since reiserfs can handle
billions of small files pretty efficiently ;-) No more crappy NTFS or FAT,
reiserfs is the future.
</irony>

Seriously: in my opinion, proxies are a very small extension to the
imbuf/anim.c file in current blender, that write out a MJPEG-AVI-file
(they are always supported) of lower resolution on demand. Those
cache AVIs are shown, when a yet to add "Preview"-flag is toggled (either
globally in Scene or locally on selected strips).

I think this discussion is maybe better suited for the Blender-Wiki or
bf-funboard.

And again: If you are really looking for interesting Google Summer
Projects, please take a look at the wiki first.

Again 2 cents. You start on making me a very poor man ;-)

Greetings,
Peter