[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code Idea

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Mon Mar 12 18:13:26 CET 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Timothy Baldridge wrote:

> I think he's talking of something like Apple FCP can do. Basically you
> have a large project on a workstation (let's say 1080p HD res), then
> you create an offline 320x240 version. This version is about 1/25th
> the original size. Copy this project to the laptop and you can edit on
> the road. When you get back to the office, simply open the more recent
> project on the workstation, relink it to the HD footage, and render
> the project out.
>
> Or better yet, simply edit the video and the lower res in real-time,
> then use the HD res for rendering the final project.
>
> Can't tell you the number of times I've wanted this feature.

OK, well, then Blender would need an automatic way to take all image/movie
strips in the current scene, re-render them to the same filenames in a
different directory, or some such, and then re-link the strips to the new
files... that would be "Create offline version".
For returning to the "online version", it would just need to re-link the
strips to the original directory's files...

You can already edit the video at lower-res in real-time by simply lowering
the sequencer scene's resolution...