[Bf-committers] Re: Sound System cleanup, using SDL

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Mar 11 15:31:15 CET 2007

Hi,

Just reported in tracker: wav files written with linux crash osx
Blender:
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?
func=detail&atid=264&aid=6198&group_id=9

It's in fact an old issue. OpenAL has proven to be instable and not
realiable.
If you ask me, kick it out completely. The OpenAL "3d rendering" and
"doppler" features for the game engine are probably just simple effects
we can code ourselves.

Csaba: if you like to refactor audio, please go ahead.
- keep using the API in blender's Soundsystem library
- kill openAL
- make it all using SDL, but using wrapper (so we can move to other
soundsystem too)

It would also help if you log your work in wiki, and regularly report
here or in irc. Makes it more realistic that we will include the code
in official releases.

Thanks,

-Ton-