[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code Idea

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 02:12:40 CET 2007

Hi Michael,

> Hi, I am trying to figure out what to do this summer and am interested in
> working on a SOC project.  I am wondering if a material browser for managing
> and viewing material libraries would be a good project.  Is this something
> that would be desirable and is it appropriately challenging?

as Joe notes, elubie is probably near completion of such a feature alread.

If you are interested in materials a related project that might be
interesting is improving the node material tools.

Have a look at the capabilities provided by

filterforge
http://www.filterforge.com/

darktree
http://www.darksim.com/html/dt25_demo.html

Genetica
http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/genetica.htm

Blenders node design is in general superior, however it is missing a
number of generators and a great deal of flexibility compared to the
three tools above.  (Also note that each of the above have many
redundant nodes - ie the worley noise texture is presented as four or
five different nodes in filterforge even though they are just
different presets).

Also you might have a look at the texture nodes of other 3D tools such
as Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini, Cinema 4D and Lightwave,

LetterRip