[Bf-committers] Blendergo - layers proposal

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Sat Mar 3 10:37:58 CET 2007

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, trip somewhere wrote:

> A Layer should be just that, A layer, a mesh should exsit on one layer
> at any one given time. It is coherent and apparent.
> Now to assist in that, over in Photoshop land we have Layer comps. A
> set of remembered on and off layer mixes that can be cycled through

Blender doesn't need layer comps, because exactly that behaviour can be
emulated by using a seperate layer and adding all objects of all layers that
should exist in that "layer comp", that's exactly one of the main advantages
of layers being merely a 'mask' than 'layers'.

For me, the only problem Blender layers have is that they have the incorrect
name. They should be named "groups".

Oh, and my Layer manager (now 3 years old I think, and still not
incorporated into official CVS, with 3 years of "Get lost, we will think of
something better") alleviates a lot of the shortcomings (no locking, no
"always renderable", no naming) of the current system.

But hey ;)