[Bf-committers] Blendergo - layers proposal

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Sat Mar 3 06:13:57 CET 2007

trip somewhere kirjoitti:
> A Layer should be just that, A layer, a mesh should exsit on one layer
> at any one given time. It is coherent and apparent.

I don't think you can just say that. The word 'layer' does not
necessarily say what the concept is exactly in Blender.
If there are valid uses for the feature that a single thing can be in
many at the same time, it does not make sense to remove that
functionality just to conform to some other system that some other tool
has for a different thing that just uses the same name for it. Often
with computers we don't actually have names for the things or the names
are incorrect, so you can not just look at the name of a feature and
define it from that - you have to look at what it actually does and what
it is used for and how.

Perhaps Blender layers are in a way like groups? - enabling the flag for
an object makes it part of a certain collection. I think the design for
better layer management should look at how power users use the existing
features, and what they are missing. The Blendergo proposal does this to
an extent, and presents some interesting ideas (i like the idea of using
diff shaped icons :). But indeed image manipulation app layers
(photoshop, krita) are perhaps not that useful to look at, although I
guess also there a part of the usage is object 'grouping' - besides just
the z-ordering and blend effects. The relevance of the Maya example I
don't get at all - are those render layers like passes, or what?
Certainly looks like a different thing than the Blender object layers.
Would be more interesting to know what other packages use for object
management.. then again this is not funboard, so please do not educate
me about it here.

> Now to assist in that, over in Photoshop land we have Layer comps.
> A set of remembered on and off layer mixes that can be cycled through
> rapidly to deside on a final approval, there by not needing to
> remember which combination of layers to change over and over or make
> several files to keep updating.

Yep, assisting functionality like that would certainly be needed on top
of the blender core system too .. like many have done with scripts.

> Also the layers have blending modes, but errrrr thats just more

well, so do Blender texture layers, which i guess do pretty much conform
to what image apps like photoshop mean with layers.

~Toni