[Bf-committers] GPLv3 Released (for license gurus).

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 30 18:02:47 CEST 2007

Hi,

--- Jean-Michel Smith <jean at jm-smith.com> wrote:
> As the GPL v3 is GPL v2 compatible,

Except that they aren't.

"""
When we say that GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible, it
means there is no legal way to combine code under
GPLv2 with code under GPLv3 in a single program. This
is because both GPLv2 and GPLv3 are copyleft licenses:
each of them says, “If you include code under this
license in a larger program, the larger program must
be under this license too.” There is no way to make
them compatible. We could add a GPLv2-compatibility
clause to GPLv3, but it wouldn't do the job, because
GPLv2 would need a similar clause.
"""

Third paragraph: http://gplv3.fsf.org/rms-why.html

Martin