[Bf-committers] Final Design of Basics (render api)

Aaron Moore two.a.ron at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 13:13:47 CEST 2007

Hi,

I just completed my final design of:

1) The basic Render API.
2) The Render API plugin system.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Render_API

I have also created an code example of how a simple renderman exporter
would use the basic Render API. I have talked and thought this design
through several iterations this week, and this is the final one. I am
asking for opinions and reviews. For the basic functionality, I
consider this design comprehensive and finished, so if there is any
disagreement with this, let me know.

Functionality that is in:
- Render / Camera settings
- Render Context
- Objects / Instances
- Lights / Geometry
- Polygon Meshes
- Render Layers / Passes -- this is the most recent addition.

Functionality that is currently left out:
- Shadow / Raytrace settings
- Special Light Settings (no diffuse, no specular, ...)
- Materials / Textures
- World Settings
- Radiocity
- Non-Polygon Geometry

I think the design of these features can happen in parallel with the
implementation of the basic features.

Also, I haven't gotten any feedback on the plugin system yet, if you
have an opinion about it that warrants sharing, please tell.

Aaron