[Bf-committers] Preliminary Design (render api)

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Thu Jun 28 03:51:28 CEST 2007

Aaron Moore wrote:
> Campbell,
>
>> get all the objects as one linked list for the render API to access. and
>> give the render API access to it (the API wont modify it)
>
> When you say "give the render API access to it" I get that you are
> talking about the implementation, otherwise you would have said "give
> the _user_ access to it." Are you really talking about giving the user
> access to it? In that case disregard the following and I'll need to
> write a new response. However, if this is correct:
>
> We have not decided on an interface specification yet. Thus, I can
> only assume that you and Ton wish to discuss the implementation before
> deciding on the interface or as a way to get to the interface. IMHO
> this is very much the wrong approach. Please, let us design interface,
> then design implementation. This is an API so the _point_ is the user.
> One needs to keep in mind that the interface must be possible to
> implement efficiently, and this is all.
>
> So, are you saying that something in my interface is impossible to
> implement efficiently? If so, what, and why? If not, can we please
> come to a consensus about interface first, and come back to this?
>
> As a last note, I think we only need to approve the interface for the
> basic system in order to proceed to implementation and to coding.
> Believe me, I really want to start coding as soon as possible, but I
> really believe that following an organized design process is the way
> to do that best.
>
> Please let me know if I understand you completely wrong.
>
> Also: I am currently rewriting the design on the wiki considering the
> discussion here and for completeness. I when I have finished I will
> post both that and a code example of how using it would be.
>
> Aaron

Im a bit confused as to your answer..we need to know what the functions
return and how the plugin writer would use them.

just suggesting how it could work.
 From reading the wiki seems like its more complex then it needs to be
with multiple ways to get lists of objects.

having a generic way to loop through objecs (however its implimented)
could be less work for you and provide a nicer interface IMHO.