[Bf-committers] New event system / MPX

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Tue Jun 26 19:34:28 CEST 2007

> A distinction is also to be made: there are multi-touch events that
> "collaborate" in creating a complex action (like the iPhone 2-
> finger zoom),
> and there are other (simpler) events that are really just normal
> events
> coming from multiple sources (like the MPX demo of moving and
> resizing a
> window). The former case could be seen as one higher level event
> composed by
> many lower lever events.
>
> The main problem is sending these kind of events, as apparently no
> GUIs
> framework can currently do that (is this true?)... Well beside MPX.

On the mac, you can identify which device sent the event and so
associate it to the
  good pointer. There is however only one system pointer.

In any case, multiple input devices (6Dof, knobs, specialized
keyboards) are indeed
very desirable. We just need good use metaphors for use. Ton pointed
me to an
interesting article which was such case

However, I'm much more sceptic on having more than one pointer. Such
things can
easily lead to user confusion.

Just look how gestures are badly understood by most, where some could
not work
without.