[Bf-committers] Render API: Framework and Scene Break-Down

Mathias Wein lynx at aspect-design.de
Wed Jun 6 19:41:41 CEST 2007

Phew, you guys are pretty active here, i can hardly keep up
with all those ideas...

I think my ideas for pseudo-code mostly redundant now...
It basically included the register function, giving back the
renderer's callbacks like the setup, render, cleanup and abort
functions which you pretty much already planned exactly like that.

About the "RenderContext", that would be the "central" point for accessing
the API functionality right? Just noticed that's the XSI name :)
Just like XSI does, this is the place where i'd make functions available to
get the render buffers, update the preview etc. (i swear, i already had this
in mind before i googled the XSI API...)

I'm not sure talking if about a "database" is 100% applicable, since there
is potentially a fair amount of processing involved, at least some of
us especially want to know render-specific modifications to the scene
data after all...

For motion blur it may indeed be handy to query individual objects
at arbitrary time (within the finite interval the current frame represents
at least), however since YafRay currently doesn't have any motion blur
support i don't want to interfere much at this point...

Aaron Moore wrote:
> (...)
> Generally speaking, it is a bad idea to make things mutable when they
> don't need to be.

I fully agree there, we are talking about getting the scene state
for rendering, not for the purpose of making changes to it.

Mathias