[Bf-committers] Render API Design

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Fri Jun 1 01:46:01 CEST 2007

Le 1 juin 07 à 00:39, Bob Wenzlaff (AB8TD) a écrit :

> The question arises if we are pushing data to the renderer or
> allowing it to pull data.  I think the latter is a little more
> flexible.  I haven't given this a lot of thought, but I came up with
> a limited illustrative example.

pushing datas can do as well, if  the converter ask
the renderer what it support. depending of datas, can be an advantage.
You can think for example of instances objects (copies which differ
only by
location/rotations).

Where your approach can shine, is that the renderer could ask for
datas in a specific volume or things like that.

Pushing or pulling (and converting) all datas can also be slow on a
frame change where only few object moved.

Now the renderer will also need to get some settings from blender
send back progress, so communication is probably both way too.

--
Lukep