[Bf-committers] Blender and OpenGL display list, vertex arrays, VBO

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 00:42:50 CEST 2007

Jiří Hnídek wrote:
> Hi,
> does anybody work at optimalization of displaying mesh objects with
> vertex arrays or display lists or VBOs. I just started work at
> optimalization of derived mesh with OpenGL display lists. I would like
> to extend it with vertex arrays in future (it seems as complicated
> issue). I don't want to be in conflict with work of somebody else.

Eh actually yes, this does kindof conflict with work in the bmesh
branch, where I implemented a vertex array cache system
for meshes.  You might want to look at the work there, as the same code
can be used in trunk too really.

My solution is kindof memory hungry, but this is done for a reason; in
my last implementation I tried to use glDrawElements and I ended up
using a lot *more* memory because glDrawElements couldn't do what was
needed.

Joe