[Bf-committers] NDOF -- new commit

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 29 23:33:40 CEST 2007

--- Jean-Luc Peurière <jlp at nerim.net> wrote:

> Le 29 juil. 07 à 22:11, Martin Poirier a écrit :
>
> Olivs had a couple problems where buttons did not
> seemed
> to work

Actually, the cycle button works ok (but it only seems
to cycle between 2 modes, not 3) but the dominant axis
button (right) doesn't do anything, I had to change
that setting manually in the driver.

> > It also doesn't respect the Auto-Perspective and
> > Around-Selection setting (the first acting like it
> was
> > always off and the second always on).
> >

> the second one is a bit by design. We could add a
> mode for
> that
> the first one, i dont know if it is desirable

Why can't it follow user settings for these two? What
makes view navigation with a ndof device so different
from navigation with the mouse or keyboard that those
settings can't apply?

> > For panning/zooming, the default speed felt
> dreadfully
> > slow (and there is no zooming multiplier).
> >

> the ortho zoom speed is indeed too slow.
> the speed seems right for panning here (Os X)

Also, the speed doesn't seem to be linear, there's
some acceleration up and down while panning.

> Note you can set independantly speed of rotation
> and pan in preférences "view & control" up to 2x

Yeah, I saw that. 2x for panning was ok.

> > Also, the axis mapping where a bit unintuitive.
> > Panning left/right worked as expected, but up/down
> was
> > mapped to pushing/pulling on the controller. I was
> > expecting the controller to act as if it was
> "sitting"
> > on the screen, so left/right pan left/right and
> > forward/backward pan up/down (with pushing/pulling
> > would control the zoom). Maybe it's just me
> though,
> > but I'd really appreciate if the axis could be
> > remapped.
>
> Did you try the other mode (fly) ?

I'm not quite sure I understand how mode works. If I
use the left button to cycle, in one of the modes,
only rotation work while in the other everything
works.

> remapping is of course possible, but this setup is
> what
> i'm used in CAD software

Which would be why remapping would be interesting,
then every can use what they feel comfortable with.

> > That's about it. It's already petty usable I'd say
> > (though using the navigator to move around 2D
> windows
> > would be great too, especially for those pesky big
> > nodes/sequencer layout).
>

> I think that 2D windows should be supported too.
>   will look into adding that after object transform
> and sculpt mode is done.

Great.

> Is the button setup, one for mode cycle, one for
> dominant, ok ?

Probably, but maybe others have ideas.

Martin