[Bf-committers] MSVC official builds, optimisation and render errors

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Wed Jul 25 12:27:46 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've seen a few posts around the forums and in the bug tracker about
render errors when using raytracing, in the form of black or white
dots. I'd never experienced that myself (using mainly OS X and cygwin
builds), and when I downloaded one of the test files on the tracker,
I couldn't reproduce the bug either.

This led me to guess that the problem may be due to the official MSVC
build, and perhaps some sort of optimisation difference there. In a
recent thread about this issue [1] I suggested that the person
experiencing the problem try a cygwin build that I made, and his
problem went away.

Could the person who's doing the official BF Windows builds with MSVC
please check on this? One of the bug reports is in the tracker [2]
with a link to a test file. I think it would be a good idea to try
that file, see if you can reproduce the bug, and check with various
compiler settings to see if that has any effect. It would be very
unfortunate to have this quite serious problem in 2.45 as well.

cheers,

Matt

[1] http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=917833#post917833
[2] https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=6861&group_id=9&atid=125

Matt Ebb . matt at mke3.net . http://mke3.net