[Bf-committers] NDOF - viewmoveNDOF patch

olivier.saraja at free.fr olivier.saraja at free.fr
Tue Jul 24 09:08:43 CEST 2007

Selon sfogoros <sfogoros at att.net>:

> I bet I never mentioned that the viewmoveNDOF function should act like
> fly mode. You should be able to translate the view in x, y, and z axes

I seldom use the fly mode, personally... I didn't catch the similarity...
perhaps you wrote about it and I missed the information: I was away a few days,
and quickly cross-read most e-mails once back.

> I don't know what 'reverting' means in this context. When I use the
> Space Navigator, I move so I can 'see' part of the scene that interests me.

By 'reverting', I meant: when I move the puck to the left, the view updates
accordingly, but when I move the puck to te right ('reverting to prevous point
of view') then I get the difficulties I stated: I need many slight pushes on the
puck to get the view close of the original view: it seems to accept with a lot
of difficulties a smooth and continuous move of the puck to get back to previous
original point. This is to explain the 'reverting' case, word was not well
chosen, sorry.

Concerning the gesture, I wasn't writing about Blender's gesture, but your own,
with your hand, on the puck. In te previous case, when it doesn't want to go
back, sometimes I have to do another move of the puck (if pan left/right fails,
then I have to rotate the puck one side then the other, and then complete the
previously failed pan move). Hope this is clearer, now! :-) Quite difficult to
explains this in a foreign tongue.

> Yep, the buttons are not programmed to do anything yet. I have some
> ideas to share with Luc when we get to that part of the implementation.

oh. Just before your patch, the two buttons were active. Not sure what they did,
but they were active in a previous own build.

One proposal could be: activating one button or the other (a small icon could be
added to the view axes, in the 3D view, to clarify the mode):
* first button: transforms apply to the selected object in the 3D space (the
default cube will rotate, translate, scale...)
* second button: transforms apply to the 3D view (the 3d view will pan, rotate,
zoom in/out)
But it seems to me that the buttons were originally intented for scaling,
weren't they? This could make this proposal invalid.
But definetely, these two modes could be the ones that would interest me, as a
modeler. Perhaps a key combo with the keyboard would activate one mode or the
other...

Jean-Luc, any thoughts about this proposal?

> I've been using the menu to execute the same view manipulations and they
> all worked for me. I'm using a laptop to develop on and don't use the
> Numpad keys. I'll try with a normal keyboard.

I'll check with the menu myself. Didn't tried this way.

> I'm really excited for the opportunity to contribute. I want my ideas
> for improvements to be considered, and if they're good, become part of
> Blender. I value your experience and feedback.

Doing my best :-)

--
olivS