[Bf-committers] NDOF - viewmoveNDOF patch

sfogoros sfogoros at att.net
Tue Jul 24 02:42:42 CEST 2007

Thanks, doesn't sound harsh to me. I appreciate your taking the time to
share your experience.

I bet I never mentioned that the viewmoveNDOF function should act like
fly mode. You should be able to translate the view in x, y, and z axes
by moving the Space Navigator 'puck' from side to side, forward and
back, and up and down. You should be able to rotate the view around the
x, y, and z axes by tilting the puck forward and back, side to side, and
left and right. You should experience continuous transformations of the
3Dview. When you use the Space Navigator, the view transforms around the
viewpoint. It should act like you are flying through the scene like in a
helicopter. You should be able to look and move anywhere.

OS wrote:
> Le Lundi 23 Juillet 2007 23:13, sfogoros a écrit :
>> Can you describe the difficulties? Does it function at all? What
>> platform? I suspect there may be range and scaling mismatch that would
>> make the device either seem to not function by not having any movement,
>> or too much movement.
>
> Sure! In fact, it basically works: actions on the Space Navigator give
> reactions.
>
> When moving one side, for example, the 3d view rotates accordingly;
> but 'reverting' the move won't revert 100% of the time in the 3D view, or
> will require many steps to revert, or will need to do another totally
> different gesture, and then go back on the first gesture to be able to do it.

I don't know what 'reverting' means in this context. When I use the
Space Navigator, I move so I can 'see' part of the scene that interests me.

I've never used gestures and I never tested how gestures integrate with
this device. I will try some experiments so that I can better understand.

> The two buttons don't seem to work at all...

Yep, the buttons are not programmed to do anything yet. I have some
ideas to share with Luc when we get to that part of the implementation.

> Scaling the view (either numpad [-] and [+] or mouse wheel doesn't work at
> all...

The hack I implemented to remove the rotation offset during Space
Navigator mode and restore it during mouse mode causes the mouse wheel
to become inoperable. You can get the mouse wheel back by clicking with
the middle mouse wheel to activate the restore rotation offset. I'll get
this fixed next.

> Numpad [7] give the top view, but [1] and [3] doesn't provide the regular
> face/side views... [0] behaves strangely too... many times I have to use
> numpad [/] to re-center on the selected object (the default cube of the
> scene) because I can't manipulate the views according to my wishes.

I've been using the menu to execute the same view manipulations and they
all worked for me. I'm using a laptop to develop on and don't use the
Numpad keys. I'll try with a normal keyboard.

> I'm on Gnu/Linux Kubuntu 6.06 LTS, with a fresh SVN build.

I'm on Windows Server 2003 using vc2005ce dev environment.

> Hope this is helpful, and doesn't sound harsh. I have no other experience with
> the Space Navigator, so I guess part of these experimentations could
> originate from bad use from me, but all the numpad manipulations looks tied
> to the ndof thing, that's quite sure ;-)

I'm really excited for the opportunity to contribute. I want my ideas
for improvements to be considered, and if they're good, become part of
Blender. I value your experience and feedback.

SteveF