[Bf-committers] Pipeline Changes Proposal

Aaron Moore two.a.ron at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 21:27:31 CEST 2007

Hi Ton,

Sorry about the lack of clarity with the diagram, I wrote it using
only the code itself as a reference and not the current diagram.

I decided that in order to best show the changes from the previous
system, I'd simply mark-up the current diagram. Honestly, the
embedding of the callbacks in the pipeline will not change the code
that much. Code will be moved in callbacks in a separate file, but the
structure will remain almost exactly the same.

New diagram:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Render_API#Pipeline_Flow

The translating of the current code so that it uses the render API
will be somewhat more complicated, but that is certainly not suited to
diagramming. That's why I am going to, for development, leave the
current system exactly as it is and build the render API
implementation in parallel to it, so that I can flip back and forth
for testing. Once the two systems work identically, I can simply
remove the old system.

Is this good? Does the diagram explain my intentions well enough, or
should I do more?

- Aaron