[Bf-committers] relocatable blender on linux

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Sat Jul 21 23:05:54 CEST 2007

Hi,
cbarton at metavr.com (2007-07-22 at 0128.04 +1000):
> At the moment blender on linux always points to ~/.blender/

Notice that it also points to ~/.B.blend and other files in ~/. There
is no unified dir and some other data is not truly compatible (quick
example is .B.blend). IMHO one of the first things to do would be to
unify all conf inside a dir and clean up the hidden issue (hidden
files inside it, does anybody has a good explanation?).

[...]

> The problem with doing this is linux (unlike windows) dosnt know the
> full path of its binary so theres no way to find the .blender subdir

In Linux the binary can know its own path, the suggested page mentions
it (and the source uses it, /proc/self/exe). Is there any need for the
extra features provided and having to keep yet another dep or periodic
resyncs? Does the lib provide more than Linux support (I did a quick
grep for what I knew was one way, not checked if useful for Solaris or
so), for example? Or would just looking at the /proc/ for the single
info be enough?

[...]
> http://autopackage.org/docs/binreloc/

GSR