[Bf-committers] relocatable blender on linux

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Sat Jul 21 17:28:04 CEST 2007

At the moment blender on linux always points to ~/.blender/
Which is only good for running one release of blender, it would be nice
if people could extract a tar.gz and use whichever scripts are in that
subdir. (I keep getting reports of people running with the wrong scripts
and would be nice to be able to work around this)

The problem with doing this is linux (unlike windows) dosnt know the
full path of its binary so theres no way to find the .blender subdir

Heres a tutorial of how do use a small lib that could be included that
solves the problem.

http://autopackage.org/docs/binreloc/

If theres no big objections I could write a patch that gets this working
using binreloc.