[Bf-committers] Boolean tool precision

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Fri Jul 13 23:07:14 CEST 2007

Chris Want wrote:
> Since most vertices are added on edges, maybe a good test would be to
> adjust the "equal to zero" value as a proportion of the length of the
> edge it is being added on (or if the vertex is being added in the
> interior of a face, make it proportionate to the square root of the
> area of the face). Anyways, I don't know the code well, so I don't
> know how feasible this is.

I'll look into some ideas along these lines, as I begin to get a better
understanding of the code.  These types of comparisons may add some
overhead per edge/face, but if they can reduce the number of faces
created might pay off in the long run (in more ways than one).

The comparisons like you mention would need to be done based on the edge
length/face area of the original mesh faces, but at this time I don't
think that information is easily accessible during the face intersection
calculations.

Ken