[Bf-committers] Compositing from Different Renderers

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 05:55:56 CEST 2007

Aaron Moore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Theoretically, it is already possible to composite render layers
> together from multiple renderers. I just did a test:
>
> Scene1|RenderLayer1 - Blender Internal-----.
>
> `.--- Mix --- Composite
> Scene2|RenderLayer1 - Yafray -----------------`
>
> Well, it crashed blender on my system, but in theory it would work.
> Something I'm wondering is, should we keep the concept of a rendering
> engine per scene, or should we change this to a rendering engine per
> render layer? The system of using multiple scenes would work, and
> might even keep things more organized, but I thought it was something
> worth bringing up.
>
> Aaron

IMHO I think a renderer per render layer would make a lot more sense.

Also it'd be nice if blender's renderer and others could get access to
each other's raw, non-resampled zbuffer (e.g., the zbuffer with all
oversampling points in it).  This might be memory intensive though, I'm
not sure if it'd be practical without something like my tiling cache
system.  It'd be nice, for example, to be able to render hair/fur in a
REYES renderman renderer like aqsis, and composite with blender's renderer.

Joe