[Bf-committers] Sunday meeting, Release progress

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Jan 21 18:54:50 CET 2007

Hi all,

------ Status

The bug crunching goes great. It's especially poor Nicholas attracting
much attention, but he seems to tackle it all very well! :)

We're now releasing RC2 builds. Linux intel, Windows & Mac intel are
in, Mac PPC will be there this evening or tomorrow morning. I'll then
add a news item about it on blender.org.

------ Meeting

The meeting had one main topic; the Python version to release with.
Since Python now official is 2.5, we should support that for Blender
2.43 as well. Only for OSX, an additional Python 2.3 will still be
released (since that is the default for 10.3 and 10.4 OSX). Keeping
scripts guaranteed working in 2.3 python is getting increasingly
difficult to manage, so we decided to not continue with 2.3 too long.
Next Blender release (in 6 months or so) we should do drop 2.3 and
poinjt OSX users to the 2.5 Python install.
(This decision needs to be validated; discussions in this maillist
welcome!).

Actual release will have to wait 1 more week.

----- New servers

Two new servers have been ordered now. (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.40Ghz, 4 GB
mem, each 3x250 GB disks, running FreeBSD). Purpose is to keep at least
one old server for download.blender.org, put cvs/mail/gforge on one new
server, and typo3/wiki/eshop on the other new server.

Not only is this hardware configuration 10-20 times more powerful than
we had, it will spread the load for websites nicer too (downloads was
becoming a bottleneck).

It was my target to have the servers in place before we release... I
still need a final confirmation how much work it is. It should not take
more than 2 weeks...

More later,

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org