[Bf-committers] Re: 64 bits Blender

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 04:09:26 CET 2007

pangelo at dcc.online.pt wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 05:19 +0100, Alexander Ewering wrote:
>
> [...]
>

>> The problem is, in my opinion, two-fold:
>>
>> 1) Lack of experience with the Blender codebase.
>>     This problem exists with any application, and is not a big hurdle to
>>     take. Anyone willing to take the time and effort can just keep reading
>>     and reading the source and will eventually get the global idea.
>>

> Yes, this is true. I also believe a new developer with enough willpower
> can get to know the codebase over time with a bit of patience, good
> documentation and a working debugger. However, many will probably give
> up before they succeed.
>
> What I was suggesting was having something like the mentorship in Google
> Summer of Code where some experienced Blender developers would help new
> developers getting to know the code base by ushering them to easy fixes
> and by reviewing their patches regularly to ensure they weren't barking
> up the wrong tree with their code.

Also, people are encouraged to ask questions in irc at #blendercoders on
irc.freenode.net, and here on the ML.

A good way to learn the source is to read all the dev docs on
blender.org/mediawiki.blender.org, then find something you want to
improve, study it and ask for help when needed.  And, of course many
people (myself included) learned the basic structure of the source code
by reading source/blender/src/space.c :)

Joe