[Bf-committers] Re: 64 bits Blender

mindrones mindrones at yahoo.it
Sat Jan 20 14:06:05 CET 2007

Hi,

I'd like to send in this interesting and extensive article regarding the
transition 32bits/64bits, apparently coming within 2008

http://catb.org/%7Eesr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html

We are currently compiling at 64bit on AMD64 without problems, nor a single
warning in console. Everything runs just fine.
Instead of using an exit(0), why don't make Blender popup a warning telling the
user "Hey you are opening a 64 bits blend file, at your own risk" or whatever?

If a 64bits port is a todo for 2007 fine, but events and opengl recoding would
be the real good news.

In my opinion developers should take some time after a release, documenting
their own code, and publishing a doxygen documentation would help. Blender is
great, but I know experienced programmers that won't help (even willing to do
it) because of its code. And this leads to actual evidence that 64bits port has
to wait for Ton, doesn'it?

Luca

http://www.mindrones.com