[Bf-committers] Re: 64 bits Blender

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Sat Jan 20 05:19:44 CET 2007

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, Jingyuan Huang wrote:

> The Blender Janitor project would be perfect for people like me who
> would like to contribute but are still new to the application.

The problem is, in my opinion, two-fold:

1) Lack of experience with the Blender codebase.
    This problem exists with any application, and is not a big hurdle to
    take. Anyone willing to take the time and effort can just keep reading
    and reading the source and will eventually get the global idea.

2) Lack of experience with the language, in this case, mostly C.
    C is a very difficult language because it's not the language itself
    that is crucial to solving problems and writing good code, but the
    *understanding* of what goes on in a computer in general.

    So, I would say proficiency in C (proovable by providing examples
    to other projects done in C) is an absolute requirement.

    Proficiency in this case means profound understanding of pointers,
    memory management, string handling and whatnot, all areas where obvious
    lack of experience has lead to an enormous amount of problems in the
    code.