[Bf-committers] Re: 64 bits Blender

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri Jan 19 22:38:18 CET 2007

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, GSR wrote:

> So now all code of past years have to be checked and as Alex mentioned
> docs should be written (I would add that new contribs should only be
> accepted after checking, even if that is a bit nasty, but better than
> having another "cleanup needed" in the future).

I actually wanted to suggest such a "test" for getting commit rights, but
already being known as a total "coding fascist" and "he only mails when he
wants to complain" guy, I refrained...

However, the point probably is that such a test would be pointless, because
already as-is, there are far less contributors than actually required, so
such a test would probably only worsen the situation - even if it raised the
quality a bit.

On the whole, this is situations where the downsides of open source become
appearent: Quality is more or less a random thing.
I don't want to get too generic again, but in my opinion, Blender is only
such an incredible application (and pretty outstanding in the open-source
world) because its main coder actually - in one way or another - gets paid
for coding.