[Bf-committers] 64 bits Blender

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri Jan 19 21:32:58 CET 2007

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007, Timothy Baldridge wrote:

> I guess I'm out of the loop, what happened to the SDNA that caused the
> sudden issue? I thought it was caused by a lack of foresight back in
> the infant days of blender. Which doesn't sound like Ton at all.
>
> Anyone want to enlighten me on the specifics?

I don't have all the specifics, but the fact remains that Blender
*was* always 64 bit clean, UNTIL it went open-source (Ton, please correct
me if I'm wrong). At least I've used it on a 64 bit platform all the time,
and I also remember exchanging files between IRIX and 32-bit Linux
without problems..

Then, the open-source area, a bunch of not-so-experienced coders (hey,
including me ... remember the endianness issues in audio code? ;-), and the
abolishment (does that word exist?) of the main 64 bit platform (IRIX) came
- which pretty much resulted in nobody caring about 64 bits anymore, or
knowing about the pitfalls.

The SDNA system itself is thus meant to be 64-bit clean and also, blender
files are supposed to be fully interchangable between 32 and 64 bit
platforms.

If anything in here is wrong, feel free to correct me...