[Bf-committers] 64 bits Blender

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 20:05:25 CET 2007

But yet, this is something we should do eventually (sooner than
later). Kindof like the GUI rewrite a while ago (was that really about
two years ago?). The more code that is added the more problems will be
added in. It's only getting worse with time.

Another aspect to look at is that Blender has been known in the past
few years for doing things that other (sometimes even commercial
packages) are just thinking about. It's great to be able to show
people the interface, or the speed of blenders save/load routines and
show how they blow the other 3d packages away once you know how to use
them. However, if we are not careful, the other packages will pass us
by. Flash has already gotten a fair amount of flack for being 32bit
only. I only see this getting worse in the next few years. Most
serious workstations have 2GB+ of RAM. As the Orange Project noticed,
problems are already cropping up with RAM limitations. Give it a year
or so and 4GB+ ram will not be that uncommon. The sooner we can go to
64bit the better.

That being said, we here means Ton. Which it shouldn't have to. Ton,
is there anyway us lowly developers can help? Any grunt work that can
be done?

Timothy

--
Windows: A 64-bit service pack to a 32-bit extension and GUI shell to
a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a