[Bf-committers] 6dof support - where to get involved? Is it possible?

Artur Rataj arturrataj at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 15:55:37 CET 2007

Joe wrote:

> Oh.  you're already  doing the server idea.  Well I understand this
> solves the licensing problem nicely.  The gimp people do this, maybe
> they'd know about the details.  Just beware of their developer list. :)

As far as I know, for typical 6dof USB devices there are no license
problems, because they use standard protocols you can handle by your
own software.

The server would exclude HID and configuration from Blender, to reuse
the device and the configuration by the other apps. The server would
replace missing tools in the Linux desktop and missing configurability
in XWindow 6dof support, until these tools are possibly developed. Of
course, someone might not care for all that and make Blender read 6dof
using for example HID, to make the patch not dependent on the server.

Artur