[Bf-committers] 64 bits Blender

Ivan Hoffmann webmaster at plumiferos.com
Fri Jan 19 14:02:05 CET 2007

Arne Schmitz wrote:
> Am Freitag, 19. Januar 2007 10:47 schrieb Ton Roosendaal:
>
>> I cannot emphasise enough that Blender is not 64 bits safe yet. Files
>> you write with 64 bits Blenders now might corrupt 32 bits Blender
>> versions. Using library referencing won't work, and not to forget the
>> code itself isn't 64 bits safe, meaning you most likely won't have the
>> possibility to reliably use  up to 8 or 16 GB memory.
>>
>> To warn developers/users for this situation I've added a line of code
>> in Blender that exits when you compile a 64 bits, with this message:
>>
>> "64 bits compiles will give incorrectly saved .blend files. Do not use
>> it. For testing purposes please remove this line from creator.c"
>>
>> This exiting is a bit unfriendly yes, but it's easy to locate this line
>> and remove it for your own compiles. At least people then cannot claim
>> they didn't know. :)
>>

> That's very sad. Is there a detailed Todo-list for a 64bit-safe Blender? I
> really, really could use one, since we only use AMD64 or similar machines
> now, and the newer ones often come with more than 4 GB of RAM.
>
> I am using my own-compiled version on Linux x86_64, but I am also not using
> library referencing and my current machine only has 4 GB of RAM.
>
> Arne

Hi, Here at Plumíferos, we also have some AMD 64 workstations. At first,
we used them with Ubuntu 64, but run blender under a 32 bit environment,
through dchroot. Now we moved all the workstations to 32 bit linux
because it wasn't confortable to work with both architectures. My
advice: If you can, go to pure 32 bits, if not, try a chroot environment.

Regards.

Ivan Hoffmann
www.plumiferos.com