[Bf-committers] Re: 6dof support - where to get involved? Is it possible?

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Thu Jan 18 18:47:12 CET 2007

Hi,
arturrataj at gmail.com (2007-01-18 at 1638.59 +0100):
> In my opinion, Blender should not have to handle dynamics or speed of
> the 6dof device, just like a normal desktop application does not
> handle dynamics or speed of a mouse cursor. Thus, I propose an
> external not-Blender-specific server, because X Window does not handle
> 6dof.

Are you sure? Partial output of a "xinput list" cmd:

"WacomPen1"        id=4    [XExtensionDevice]
         Num_keys is 32
         Min_keycode is 8
         Max_keycode is 39
         Num_buttons is 4
         Num_axes is 6
         Mode is Absolute
         Motion_buffer is 200
         Axis 0 :
                 Min_value is 0
                 Max_value is 18801
                 Resolution is 0
         Axis 1 :
                 Min_value is 0
                 Max_value is 15040
                 Resolution is 0
         Axis 2 :
                 Min_value is 0
                 Max_value is 240
                 Resolution is 49999
         Axis 3 :
                 Min_value is -64
                 Max_value is 63
                 Resolution is 128
         Axis 4 :
                 Min_value is -64
                 Max_value is 63
                 Resolution is 128
         Axis 5 :
                 Min_value is 0
                 Max_value is 1023
                 Resolution is 128

What is required is proper support of exiting devices via XInput and
writing more drivers for others (kernel and / or x11). If you find
something that does not fit at all, Xorg, Freedesktop and similar
projects will be really happy to get proposals and example code.

GSR