[Bf-committers] 6dof support - where to get involved? Is it possible?

Artur Rataj arturrataj at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 16:38:59 CET 2007

Hello.

Ton wrote:

> There's not many people using such devices, and those who have might be
> too busy.

But with things like the wiimote, such devices will perhaps become more common.

> We like this for sure. The typical way is that you create code for it,
> and propose it as a patch.

That's what we would want to do, but I wanted to know if there is any
work on 6dof api in Blender now.

Stephen wrote:

> There appears to be some legal issues with the 3dconnexion license
> agreement for their SDK that make it incompatible with open source
> applications.  I'm not convinced that your attempts to get around the
> licensing issues are acceptable.  On the other hand, I am not a lawyer
> either.

We do not want our patch to have any connection with either 3dconnexion
devices or any other devices like that. Just an API.

And a lightweight API, if there would be an external  6dof server.

In my opinion, Blender should not have to handle dynamics or speed of
the 6dof device, just like a normal desktop application does not
handle dynamics or speed of a mouse cursor. Thus, I propose an
external not-Blender-specific server, because X Window does not handle
6dof.

Blender would connect to the server to get 6dof just like it connects
to XWindow to get mice position.

The server could translate 6 * velocity devices like SpaceBall or 6 *
direct position devices like Wiimote, or any mixed devices, into 6 *
direct position data to give the data to Blender or other clients.

The server would have a configuration GUI, and the protocol would be
very simple.

Just please tell me if this is OK, and we will try to make the server
and the patch.

Best regards,
Artur