[Bf-committers] 6dof support - where to get involved? Is it possible?

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Thu Jan 18 15:34:48 CET 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 10:25:15AM +0100, randomJavaTroll wrote:
> Dear Blender team,
> I am proposing you to do an enhancement which some other modern 3d modelling
> apps have since long. I tried to talk with one of the developers involved
> with the 6dof patch, and stopped to get answers since about a month, not
> even "go ask elsewhere" or "we do not need your help". I tried to discuss it
> on this list, no single answer.
>
> Could you tell me why? Is this the wrong list to ask things like that? Or
> don't you want the 6dof api at all? Or what?

There appears to be some legal issues with the 3dconnexion license
agreement for their SDK that make it incompatible with open source
applications.  I'm not convinced that your attempts to get around the
licensing issues are acceptable.  On the other hand, I am not a lawyer
either.

Someone (you?) posted an email from 3dconnections on the development
forum which had zero information on the problem.

Until 3dconnexion releases an SDK compatible with the GPL or you
get their blessing for what you are doing, I would not expect
much action.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net