[Bf-committers] Re: Q key

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 20:52:56 CET 2007

> Pressing Q gives a verification dialog *and* Blender has an autosave
> function, so if artists still manage to loose their work they must be
> pretty dumb.

Except autosave didn't work reliably on all platforms - in particular
our largest userbase platform, and it was trivially easy to confirm
unintentionally.

> And if the next release has customisable keys, why not postpone this
> ctrl-q until then?

Because a new manual is coming out that is targeted at new users -
having trivial loss of data through a common accidental key press is
extremely user hostile even if a part of our current userbase is
accustomed to such.

> I fail to see why regular users should be handicapped
> with this release if the next release allows them to set it all back.

How exactly will 'regular users be handicapped' - ctrl-qkey is about
equally convenient - just takes relearning (and most users know that
short cut from the vast majority of other software they use).  Also if
they can't or refuse to relearn the shortcut - a custom build with it
changed back is trivial to do.

> Ahwell, why do i even bother... seems your decisions are already made.
>
> Rob

I've seen perhaps five posts of people annoyed at the change all of
whom could easily get a custom build with it changed back. There are
likely to be many tens of thousands who will benefit from the change -
so on balance I expect it was a good decision.

LetterRip