[Bf-committers] Sculpt commit issue...

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Jan 10 13:23:12 CET 2007

Hi Nicholas,

> For example, what the set_sculpt_object() is supposed to do and why it
>> was added is nowhere to find...
> This function was intended to provide a single location to create data
> specific to sculptmode meshes. Exactly what this data was has changed
> as the code evolved, currently it's extra connectivity information
> (the vertex_users array) and temporarily applying a shape key.

That's very vague... if you want to keep track of changes that happen
often, then just apply such changes on each redraw.
If it is cpu-heavy stuff, then try to stick to existing features like
for depsgraph. If that doesn't work, consult me...

> Sculptmode is like edit mode in that it edits the vertices for a
> specific shape key, rather than using the interpolated vertices of a
> particular frame. The idea with keys is that anytime the key is
> changed, apply the key to the mesh with key_to_mesh. If there's
> already a key applied to the mesh, then any sculpting that has
> happened should be applied to the old key before switching to the new
> one.

Keys are only applied via depsgraph or by user input (set active key).
If you do this outside of despgraph things can go seriously wrong. I've
just had another bug in the tracker related to this topic. Your changes
actually *remove* shape info... it's very dangerous to mess with.

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org