[Bf-committers] Blender 2.43 RC1

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 09:08:27 CET 2007

> Here is, though it's just cosmetic.
>
> 1) I noticed now it's possible to use more than 2 threads for rendering. Indeed
> in the past I did a test with official 2.42a and with up to 16 CPU (see this:
> http://people.mandriva.com/~ghibo/blender_scaling.png)
> and the result was that beyond 8 processors blender rendering time
> wasn't scaling anymore, so I guess your choice of limit to max 8 threads per
> blender sessions comes from this.

How many tiles are you using for each test?  Tiles can impact ram
consumption, they can also drastically impact how fast you complete -
between double and triple the number of tiles compared to number of
processors seemed to be best from a discussion on irc.  Also a 180
second scene - it might be taking nearly all of the time for setup.
Ask someone for a scene that takes a long time to render and the
additional processors might be of benefit.

LetterRip