[Bf-committers] Reducing email overhead

Giuseppe Ghibò ghibo at mandriva.com
Mon Jan 8 19:27:53 CET 2007

Ton Roosendaal ha scritto:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Because of the increased traffic here I'm not even reading all mails
> anymore... that's a real shame. So, we might decide to put back this
> default for mailing lists:
>
> -> a "reply-to" goes to sender only
>
> A "reply-to" to the mailinglist then has to be explicitely done, for
> example by using a 'reply to all'.
>
> Anyone would object to this? I agree it can lead to confusement and
> accidents... but you get used to it after a while. Several other lists
> I'm on use this convention, and according to the mailing list software
> it is "strongly advised".

Indeed I prefer the current behaviour.

IMHO there could be problems to this new policy, when a thread
initially started only between sender and who answer, is later partially
forwarded to the mailing list, as in this way there could be missed
messages which might lead to confusion.
On the other hand with reply-to the sender who send a messages (suppose are you)
may receive more or less the same answer from 27 different people
(as other people wouldn't know about each other answer) and maybe won't
remember to forward to the mailing list each time.

Other alternative to reduce the amount of traffic would be a mailing list split,
but in that way one would have to follow two mailing list (and which one is more
important that other?) or choose/include some prefix for the Subject.

Bye
Giuseppe.