[Bf-committers] Reducing email overhead

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Mon Jan 8 18:59:54 CET 2007

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 07:21:37AM -0800, Martin Poirier wrote:

> Personally, I'd prefer if the list be kept as it is
> but add a new "policy" that any reply that is not of
> general interest be sent back to the original sender
> only. I'm sure some people were doing that already, so
> it's probably not too much to ask.

I would argue that if having a 'policy' was enough, we
would not be having this discussion.

Right now, because the reply-to field has been munged,
replying only to the sender is non-trivial.

> Even if that was changed to what you suggested, I'd be
> willing to bet that people will start doing replies to
> all every time anyway (except by mistake when the
> reply was really meant for all, they'll forget to do
> it...).

Sure, people will be people.  But doing a group reply is what
they are already doing by default now so it will not be noticeably
worse.

I'm in favor of the change.

--
Stephen Swaney