[Bf-committers] Reducing email overhead

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 8 16:21:37 CET 2007

Hi,

--- Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:

> Because of the increased traffic here I'm not even
> reading all mails
> anymore... that's a real shame. So, we might decide
> to put back this
> default for mailing lists:
>
> -> a "reply-to" goes to sender only
>
> A "reply-to" to the mailinglist then has to be
> explicitely done, for
> example by using a 'reply to all'.
>
> Anyone would object to this? I agree it can lead to
> confusement and
> accidents... but you get used to it after a while.
> Several other lists
> I'm on use this convention, and according to the
> mailing list software
> it is "strongly advised".

Personally, I'd prefer if the list be kept as it is
but add a new "policy" that any reply that is not of
general interest be sent back to the original sender
only. I'm sure some people were doing that already, so
it's probably not too much to ask.

Even if that was changed to what you suggested, I'd be
willing to bet that people will start doing replies to
all every time anyway (except by mistake when the
reply was really meant for all, they'll forget to do
it...).

Martin