[Bf-committers] Blender 2.43 RC1

Giuseppe Ghibò ghibo at mandriva.com
Sun Jan 7 19:50:09 CET 2007

Peter Schlaile wrote:

> (take a look here:
> http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2006-December/017063.html
> )
>
> Does your patch also work with
>
> #define VARSTRUCT_NAMEMAX 16
>
> ?

Dear Peter, I confirm you that with my patch but lowering string size
again to 16 would work without overrun while importing the obj file that
I cited above. In the case you are interested, also one of the
the offending strings (I'm not sure there weren't others) was:

"Split by Material"

in the file release/scripts/import_obj.py at line 730,
which is 17 character long (plus 1 for end string terminator,
so 18). Of course with my patch in the menu it's truncated to
"Split by Materi" (maybe a better string could be "Split by Mater."),
but at least the string buffer remain protected without overflow.
So if you decide to go revert to 16, I think you can go ahead with
my patch and with #define VARSTRUCT_NAMEMAX 16.

Bye
Giuseppe.