[Bf-committers] Tango icons in release

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Jan 7 12:04:45 CET 2007

Hi,

Although Jimmac did do work that appears to have improvements compared
to the old icons, there are also many issues in this design that don't
make it ready yet for inclusion. I've not bothered with discussions on
that topic, UI design typically ends with too long winded threads... so
instead of criticizing, here's my minimal specs for an icon system in
Blender:

- create two basic sets, one (small icons) to be used like a 'font' and
one larger (and scalable) to be used as 'toolbar icons'.
- keep track of usage for dark or bright or transparent backgrounds.
- create a meaningful usage of color (allow the software to alter color
for additional messages).
- choose an original design, not by definition following traditions or
conventions in other s/w, but based on a strong own conceptual visual
language that suits Blender.

Note that we use in Blender icons now on the same size as text, so it's
an extension of text even. Such icons best can have minimal color, and
like fonts be used in black or white. (Compare Jimmacs video-play icons
with how iTunes does it).
As an alternate set, we can define to have "Toolbar" icons, which are
typically larger than fonts and should be scalable up to larger sizes
too.

If you look at how icons are integrated in well designed products like
Modo or Motion you can learn a lot from it. That's the minimal standard
I'd like to operate on.

-Ton-