[Bf-committers] Sunday meeting minutes, 25th feb 2007

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Feb 27 22:35:41 CET 2007

Hi,

Summarizing responses I don't see much enthusiasm for an extra 2.44,
apart from when that will have 64 bits support (which isn't a quick
project).
During sunday meeting in IRC there was more endorsement, but these
people I don't hear anymore? Please do speak!

Another problem is that the tracker sortof exploded. We now get good
feedback in for bugs and problems, but how much time we need to fix
this for a real 'stable' 2.43a?

My personal stance remains to release as often as possible. The past
release cycle was very long. Let's do one short cycle to compensate
(with enough time for 64 bits cleaning and tests) and then go to do the
bigger jobs again.

Or: just do 1 more week bugfix only, make 2.43a, and then go back to
work?

(On 26 Feb, 2007, at 3:07, Matt Ebb wrote:)
> What would this really achieve, apart from pushing away the promised
> refactor work yet again? The papers/design stage is what b-con 1 is
> for. Why can't these other brand new projects just be done in parallel
> with other planned 2.5 work?

- You could start immediate on gathering all ideas/plans and make an
end-user spec of what the refactor should result in.
- There are unresolved issues with how panels are used now (too small,
too rigid).
- Look at extending header size for toolbars. vertical headers?
- Above issues could result in good layout proposal for button space
and other windows
- How are we going to treat our hotkey maps?

And I bet you can think of more things. The more we can all agree on it
in advance, the easier the implementation will go. Having 2 month
creative & design phase for this project, before the actual
implementation starts, is really not bad. And, if we then can just
manage to do a small release before, isn't that wonderful? It then
might really need 6 months before we can do another.

> What would this really achieve

This also counts: I need my rest once too. Have been working non-stop
since early 2005.

-Ton-