[Bf-committers] EU have a dream? Blender in 2012!

Davide Vercelli davide.vercelli at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 11:54:41 CET 2007

My organization is a university research institution that has a lot of
experience with EU funding proposal filing. From what I have
personally seen (which is, admittedly, not much), submitting a
proposal requires to endure a stressful amount of paperwork, to
carefully write tons of mostly useless documents, and to worry about a
lot of management stuff such as deadlines, deliverables, coordination
among entities: not something that the average coder cares or knows
something about. What's more, the outcome seems to have also some
slight randomness in it.
  On the other hand, it's a lot of money and I can't think about
anything better than being paid for working on Blender :)

> On the other hand, I know the dangers and we only now (deadline May 8)
> have the opportunity, a next EU subsidy round might be in 4-5 years.

I'm not sure about this. My understanding is that during the whole
life of a framework program, there are many "calls" for proposals. May
8 is the deadline for the first call; other calls should be issued
roughly twice a year for the entire duration of the programme (7
years). It's true, though, that not all the calls cover the entire
breadth of research topics, and that later calls could distribute
smaller budgets.

> - who is interested to *work* on such plans (not only interested to get
> money!).

I can't guarantee anything right now, but my institution *might* be
interested in participating.

Let me add that, from what I've heard, it is usually a good idea if
the consortium is geographically varied, in particular including east
european countries.

UncleZeiv

ps - Ton, are you aiming in particular at the Cooperation -
Information and Communication Technologies call?

pps - I'm afraid that the whole funding-related posts can eventually
annoy bf-committers... What about creating a bf-funding list or
something like that? Just an idea.