[Bf-committers] Custom Transform Alignment

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 28 20:58:01 CET 2007

Hi,

--- GSR <gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com> wrote:

> You asked for comments and critics, here they go,
> even with a free bug
> or two.

Excellent

> Ctrl-Shift-Space seems to be free (it currently
> repeats Shift+Space)
> and links nicely with Ctrl-Space and Alt-Space.

Sounds good.

> There is a bug, you hit the combo but change your
> mind... and it still
> adds to the list. Same for the vertex case, even in
> the name popup it
> will add instead of cancel when you shake the mouse
> instead of hitting
> Ok button.

Fixed.

Aside from this, there was a couple of redraw issues
and stuff like that which I've fixed (locally).

I'll upload a new patch soon.

> Sorry, but these new align options are not very
> useful with the widget off

Why do you think so?

> A related issue, the widget's limits are a bit
> arbitrary. I uploaded a
> simple patch (no versioning, which is needed to
> handle old .B.blend
> configs, and no comment about the magic 10.0f) so
> you can see the
> changes faster than above explanation, they are
> simple:

http://www.infernal-iceberg.com/blender/widget-limits-basic.patch

I'm not too involved in the UI side of the widgets, so
if more people think this is useful, I'll commit
(separately and with the versioning, obviously).

> I would keep all buttons in one side, or separate
> using "the safe way"
> with delete away from others, for example "X Name ?
> >". Also I would
> use letters like, S and A for select and activate
> instead of abusing
> cryptic "icons" ("open something" and "help"? or
> maybe "move right"
> and "unable to find icon image"?). As the panel is
> used in single
> column mode, they could be "Sel" and "Act" text
> anyway.

I've put the X on the right side because that's where
it usually is for datablocks (selector - name - users
- fake - delete).

You're absolutely correct though, there's enough space
for words instead of cryptic icons.

I've used "?" for "Select" because it's sort of what
the "?" button does in the material assignation panel.

> Showing which is the active one would be nice too,
> and the other modes
> could be placed in the same panel (renamed Transform
> Orientation to
> match the area header drop down), so the feature is
> unified instead of
> spread over multiple places.

Excellent idea.

Here's what I have so far (minus removing the cryptic
icons): http://blenderartists.org/~theeth/bf/ts.jpg

Global/Local and all act as radio buttons, as you
suggested.

> * I still keep on thinking panels is pushing issues
> into user hands
> instead of solving them... the "Blender is no
> overlap" motto is pretty
> much invalid by now.

The problem with having it as a non-overlapping panel
in this case is that it's per view settings, so it
can't be stuffed down in the buttons window.

Ideally, I think making a side bar with the floating
panels' content (except preview, obviously) would be a
good compromise. If I understood correctly, that's
something that might be possible with the new
windowing system in the branch.

> It whines when you have 3-4 vertices that form a
> face. It would be
> nicer if it checked they form a valid face (or 2
> form an edge, or 3-4
> edges form a face) and just add, instead of
> complaining and requiring
> you to change mode.

Yes, that could be done easily.

> BTW what rules are used for vertex, edges and faces?
> Not too clear. At
> most I can see vertices have a normal by themselves,
> but not so clear
> in all cases what to do for the undefined axis
> (edge: interpolation of
> the two vertex normals and edge as second axis?
> highly deformed quads
> and future ngons cases sound even trickier). Think
> how you would write
> the book section covering this to figure what I mean
> about being
> clear.

Easy. It's the same behavior as Normal orientation.
That is: Z axis is defined as the normal (or edge),
other axis are perpendicular but not strictly defined.

In those case, the only interesting constraint axis
are Z and perpendicular to Z (Shift-Z).

> Add a button to quickly clean the queue that will
> grow?

Done

> Save view
> lets you store views, as named type, for future use
> and should be in
> the menu too.

Pretty good idea.

> A conditional interface, more things to remember,
> longer manuals to
> write and read. :[ No way to track them at all so
> there are no special cases?

Not completely. Unlike objects, it's harder to track
addition and removal of vert/edge/face, so it would
end up like Vertex Parent (messing up from time to
time).

> OTOH people can "freeze" by adding an empty, copying
> rotation, and
> then hiding it (which manual workflow and can become
> tiresome).
> Keeping on with the brainstorm, having a button to
> convert from object
> to named type or adding fixed kinds based in objects
> (button and menu)
> could be interesting too.

That would be possible, yes. Not quite sure on the
usefulness though.

> Well, that is what I can think at first glance based
> in current
> system, plan after instead of before, and without
> getting into
> radically changing other things.

Thanks for the comments and analysis.

Anybody else wants to chime in?